Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A week in Ballia

There are so many new sights, sounds, and smells to take in here.  I feel like living one day in India is like living three back in the states.  It is a rich, vibrant culture and I am assimilating well.  I just returned back from a small college in a neighboring village where some scientists have created a weather station.  It was very interesting and I met a fellow American who is building an English  Language Learning lab for the students at the college.  She is a retired ESL teacher from Seattle and she is doing amazing work for the people of the village.

Yesterday, I worked with grade 2 and introduced a fun antonym game with over 60 second graders.  They were each given a word and then had to find the friend with the opposite (hot/cold, happy/sad etc.).  They recited the words and acted them out for the rest of the class.  I also continue with reader's theater and also "picture reading" and many games and movement activities.  

My contact here, Sanskriti Singh, is a friend, of a friend of Pat's from India.  I am happy to call her my friend now.  She is a true educational reformer in India and working tirelessly to bring more project based learning to classrooms here and in Delhi.  I am learning a lot from her and sharing what knowledge I have as well.  So far it has been a worthwhile exchange and I am very grateful for this experience. Most of what I am doing is completely new for the teachers and they have been really good sports with it all.  Now, we hope for some execution of these new ideas and programs. 

On a cultural note, the India that I am experiencing has close knit family ties and everyone just takes care of one another.  There is not this "me" mentality that we have back home.  Everything that I have eaten, from veggies to mutton, has come from the school grounds.  It is 100% self sustainable with very little waste.  The pace is slower here and there is a more relaxed atmosphere.  School begins at 9:30 so you know I love that!  It's starting to get warmer too, around 70-75 today and people are still wearing hats and scarves.  They think it's wierd that I'm not cold.  OH, and bright, beautiful sun each and every day!

The most beautiful thing that I have seen in India so far is the sight and sound of morning assembly.  Each day, the whole school (over 1200 nursery-12 students) gather in pin straight lines, sing the national anthem, make announcements, and then sing a new song each week.  The sound of so many students singing is really powerful.  I will try to post a video soon!  There is so much more to tell but I need to go do some choreography for my dancers.  Until next time,
Mrs. Tobin

PS) The students and teachers love the books from Lima and Manor students, and I will be showing the videos later this week!  Thanks to the classes of Mrs. Tracey, Mrs. Nahum, Mrs. Gonsenhauser, and Miss Fancher!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment