Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just Two More Days in Ballia.....

My time here is quickly coming to an end and although I am excited to get back home to my family, I will miss the sights, sounds, smells, and people of Ballia.  We take a train back to Delhi on Sunday and then I will stay there with Sans and her husband for a few days before flying back to New York late Tuesday night.

Unfortunately, I lost a few days this week due to illness.  Caught a doozy of a cold and was flat out for Monday and most of Tuesday ("Man proposes...God disposes", as Sans' mother-in-law so eloquently says).  Managed to get into some classrooms on Wednesday and run my rehearsals, as usual.  Wednesday, I also watched Class 4 present their "State" projects and it reminded me so much of the fifth graders at Manor doing their state projects.  Many students dressed in the traditional clothing of their state and shared food, monuments, agriculture, etc. of their chosen state. It was quite impressive and I've posted some pictures of this event. India is comprised of 27 states and each one is unique with its' own special qualities, similar to America's states.

Today, I visited Class 3 and read them a story about a spelling bee.  We discussed the story to check for understanding and Sans translated when necessary. Then,  students worked in small groups with each group getting a short story to read together.  Sans then worked on the concept of "retelling" their stories and students worked together to retell their stories using their own words. 

Sans also introduced a William Wordsworth poem to class 5 and they are going to be reading it in different tempos and voices.  This will take some practice and I look forward to hopefully hearing a recitation before I leave.   So much more to do, learn and share so I guess I will just have to come back.....Until next time,
Mrs. Tobin/Kati

Class 4 - India State
Presentations



No comments:

Post a Comment