Friday, February 24, 2012

Home

After a 17 hour train ride, two days in Delhi, and a 16 hour flight, I am back in America.  Spending a good amount of time in another country, on the other side of the planet, has given me a new perspective on my own culture and what it means to be an "American". I will not define this for you as I feel the definition is quite individual, as per our country has inadvertently dictated.  I am fortunate though, to have been born a woman in a place where women have had vast opportunities compared to many other places in the world.

My last few days at the school were quite memorable and the class 5 dancers just knocked it out of the park with our piece.  The girls ended up performing it three times for different audiences because it was very exciting and moving for everyone to experience a new form of expression through movement.  Modern dance at its finest!  For the girls in India, it represented so much more than I had initially realized. Sans and I had been working all along on helping students to express themselves through the english language and watching those eight girls express themselves so freely and gracefully with the language of movement really just capped off the entire experience in such a beautiful way.  As the director of the school spoke to the last audience (comprised of every girl in the school!) she passionately told each girl that they are free to do and experience what they are passionate about.  No hesitation, no fear, just be yourselves girls and soar!  Her speech was really quite moving and she is changing attitudes and helping her female students gain confidence and ground in India.

Saying goodbye was hard and I had to go into what I call "ice cube mode" to keep myself from balling like a big baby.  Emotions are not readily revealed in India so I didn't want to leave on a blubbering note. I sang "You are my Sunshine" to the entire school at morning assembly, they presented me with an amazing hand made book by all of the students, and I rec'd countless presents, notes, and kind gestures from students and teachers. I will hold this experience dearly and use its lessons to propel me forward, not only as a teacher, but as a human being in our ever changing and shrinking world.  Until next time,
Mrs. Tobin/Kati

ps) will try to post some final pics from the dance soon

No comments:

Post a Comment