Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ballia- Week 2

Time has flown by and it has been a full, productive week so far.  I spent the day at "Pani Tanki" school which is a smaller school in the city of Ballia. I am staying at the larger school outside of the city.  Sans and I worked in grades 4, 5, and 6 today.  I had the chance to watch Sans teach a "picture reading" lesson which evolved into a really nice creative writing lesson ( think "Collins"my comrades).  She is just a natural teacher of the finest caliber.  She has the innate ability to ask the right questions which then take the lesson to deeper and more meaningful levels.  I am really learning a lot from her.

On a cultural note, I had the best bread of my life today!  Just when I thought that I had tried all of the breads in India, they bring out a new, yummier version.  Today, it was "puri" and I was in carb heaven.  It's a fried bread that is a bit puffy and I filled it with my curd, chutney, and chick peas/gravy.  I am really appreciating the food here and I will miss it a lot.  As many of you know, I love ethnic food and I've been to many Indian restaurants back home.  However, none compare with the freshness and home-made goodness of what I am currently experiencing.  This is quite a luxury for me!

I will post some more pictures of some of the learning that is taking place and some of the final projects that the students have created from Sans' previous lessons.  The students speak english so well and I can have entire, lengthy conversations with the students in class 9 (ninth grade).   Well, speaking of eating....time for dinner.  I love India!  Until next time,
Mrs. Tobin/Kati 

No comments:

Post a Comment